From China Medical Tribune
In January 2015, the 2014 Chinese Clinical Oncology Advances Awards organized by China Medical Tribune (CMT) and the Chinese Society of Clinical Oncology (CSCO) has finalized the top ten researches from China (a number of studies have tied votes).
The achievements of Chinese clinical and translational oncology researches have attracted global attention in the past 2014.
In this campaign, 42 Chinese oncologists from 30 hospitals in China have been invited to be core reviewers. Dr. Martin Murphy, chairman emeritus, board of directors of Conquer Cancer Foundation of ASCO, Dr. Li Yan from the United States Chinese Anti-Cancer Association (USCACA), and Dr. Jin Jen, director of Gene Expression Core, Mayo Clinic, also were invited as special reviewers.
“The progress of Chinese clinical oncology was quite significant last year, which could be revealed by the quantity and quality of randomized controlled trials. The candidate researches for the awards were all published on prestigious scientific journals, such as Lancet Oncology, suggesting that Chinese clinical oncology researches are having their influence in the international academic stage”, Professor Yilong Wu, president of CSCO said.
“Compared with the awarded researches in 2013 and 2012, 2014 Chinese Clinical Oncology Advances Awards take several initiatives. This year，we included orally presented abstracts by Chinese authors from the 2014 annual meetings of the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO), the European Society of Medical Oncology(ESMO), and the CSCO. Also, we included researches published in domestic top Chinese oncology journals. This annual event has managed to cover the excellence the Chinese clinical researches from multiple perspectives as possible as it could……”, Professor Shukui Qin , president of CSCO clinical oncology research foundation .
In recent years, there are increasing number of valuable clinical oncology studies designed and carried out by Chinese researchers being published in the leading journals in the field. Chinese oncologists are prepared and readily to devote more efforts in clinical oncology study and to cooperate with peer oncologists around world.
Elected research projects listed by date of publication:
1. Spontaneous seroclearance of hepatitis B seromarkers and subsequent risk of hepatocellular carcinoma.
Corresponding Author: Chien-Jen Chen
Affiliation: The Genomics Research Center, Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan.
Gut. 2014 Oct;63(10):1648-57. doi: 10.1136/gutjnl-2013-305785. Epub 2013 Nov 13.
2. Afatinib versus cisplatin plus gemcitabine for first-line treatment of Asian patients with advanced non-small-cell lung cancer harbouring EGFR mutations (LUX-Lung 6): an open-label, randomised phase 3 trial.
Corresponding Author: Yi-Long Wu
Affiliation: Guangdong Lung Cancer Institute, Guangdong General Hospital & Guangdong Academy of Medical Sciences, Guangzhou, China
Lancet Oncol. 2014 Feb;15(2):213-22. doi: 10.1016/S1470-2045(13)70604-1. Epub 2014 Jan 15.
3. On-treatment alpha-fetoprotein is a specific tumor marker for hepatocellular carcinoma in patients with chronic hepatitis B receiving entecavir
Corresponding Author: Grace L.H. Wong
Affiliation: Institute of Digestive Disease, Department of Medicine and Therapeutics, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong SAR, China
Hepatology. 2014 Mar;59(3):986-95. doi: 10.1002/hep.26739. Epub 2014 Jan 30.
4. Comprehensive analysis of oncogenic mutations in lung squamous cell carcinoma with minor glandular component.
Corresponding Author: Haiquan Chen
Affiliation: Department of Thoracic Surgery, Fudan University Shanghai Cancer Center
Chest. 2014 Mar 1;145(3):473-9. doi: 10.1378/chest.12-2679.
5. Conventional stents versus stents loaded with (125)iodine seeds for the treatment of unresectable oesophageal cancer: a multicentre, randomised phase 3 trial.
Corresponding Author: Gao-Jun Teng
Affiliation: Department of Radiology, Zhong-da Hospital, Medical School, Southeast University, Nanjing, China.
Lancet Oncol. 2014 May;15(6):612-9. doi: 10.1016/S1470-2045(14)70131-7. Epub 2014 Apr 14.
6. Phase III study of apatinib in advanced gastric cancer: A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.
Author: Shukui Qin; PLA Cancer Center of Nanjing Bayi Hospital, Nanjing, China
Meeting: 2014 ASCO Annual Meeting
Category: Gastrointestinal (Noncolorectal) Cancer
Abstract Number: 4003
7. A distinct glucose metabolism signature of acute myeloid leukemia with prognostic value
Corresponding Author: Sai-Juan Chen
Affiliation: State Key Laboratory of Medical Genomics, Shanghai Institute of Hematology, Rui Jin Hospital, Shanghai Jiao Tong University School of Medicine
Blood. 2014 Sep 4;124(10):1645-54. doi: 10.1182/blood-2014-02-554204. Epub 2014 Jul 8.
8. Randomized trial of [131I] metuximab in treatment of hepatocellular carcinoma after percutaneous radiofrequency ablation.
Corresponding Author: Zhi-Nan Chen
Affiliation: Cell Engineering Research Center, Fourth Military Medical University
J Natl Cancer Inst. 2014 Sep 10;106(9). pii: dju239. doi: 10.1093/jnci/dju239. Print 2014 Sep.
9. Efficacy and safety of regorafenib (REG) monotherapy in Chinese patients with previously treated metastatic colorectal cancer (mCRC): Subgroup analysis of the CONCUR trial
Author: Jian-Ming Xu, The 307th hospital of Chinese People’s Liberation Army
Meeting: 2014 CSCO Annual Meeting
Category: Plenary Session
10. EGFR mutation and survival outcomes in patients with completely resected lung adenocarcinoma – a multiple centers, non-interventional study (ICAN trial)
Author: Tony Mok; The Chinese University of Hong Kong
Meeting: 2014 ESMO Annual Meeting, Proffered Paper session
Category: NSCLC early stage
11. Clinical value of circulating tumor cells in monitoring treatment response in Chinese patients with small cell lung cancer
Author: Ying Cheng, The Cancer Hospital of Jilin Province, China
Meeting: 2014 CSCO Annual Meeting
Category: Plenary Session
12. Pemetrexed versus gefitinib as a second-line treatment in advanced nonsquamous nonsmall-cell lung cancer patients harboring wild-type EGFR (CTONG0806): a multicenter randomized trial.
Corresponding Author:Yi-Long Wu
Affiliation: Department of Pulmonary Oncology, Guangdong Lung Cancer Institute, Guangdong General Hospital and Guangdong Academy of Medical Sciences, Guangzhou
Ann Oncol. 2014 Dec;25(12):2385-91. doi: 10.1093/annonc/mdu463. Epub 2014 Oct 3.