The Asian Fund for Cancer Research (AFCR) is pleased to be presenting the next BRACE Award Venture Competition, to be conducted virtually in the fall of 2020. Two finalists are guaranteed to be selected—and awarded prizes equivalent to HK$10,000. Subject to due diligence and negotiation, one business will receive up to the equivalent of HK$2,000,000 in investment funding from AFCR.
Virtual Pitch Competition:
Friday Morning, 6 November 2020, Hong Kong Time
- Submit an online application:
- Each applicant must submit an online application consisting of summary details, a short video and a presentation deck summarizing the business plan.
- Application deadline: Monday, 31 August 2020, 11:59 PM Hong Kong Time
- Approval of submissions:
- Submitted applications will be screened by AFCR personnel. Only submissions that demonstrate cancer mitigation technology, business potential and professionalism will be approved.
- Selection of Semi-Finalists:
- A highly qualified selection committee will review approved applications and determine semi-finalists based on the overall quality of responses.
- Semi-finalists will be announced over two weeks before the pitch competition, by e-mail communication to all approved applicants and online to general public.
- Semi-finalists have an opportunity to have a clip of their submitted short video be voted on by the public.
- Virtual Pitch Competition and Selection of Finalists
- Semi-finalists chosen are invited to pitch to a judging committee in a series of private, confidential presentations on Friday morning, 6 November 2020, Hong Kong Time. After the conclusion of the pitch competition, the two highest rated competitors will be highlighted, and cash awards of HK$10,000 granted to these two finalists.
- PowerPoint or PDF presentation formats are required, and must be delivered—verbally and visually—in English. Presenters are required to be available well in advance of their predesignated time slot, and time limit will be strictly enforced.
- Selection of Winner and Announcement of Investment
- AFCR will perform detailed due diligence on and communicate with the two finalists, in order to determine allocation of up to the equivalent of HK$2,000,000 in AFCR investment into the business deemed to have the stronger potential for return and cancer patient impact.
- Announcement of investment will be made in person to the winner at the BIOHK2021, and online to general public.
- Application must be submitted by a senior executive of an Asia-based oncology start-up—or a principal planning to set up such a company in the near future. The individual could be a founder, president, chief executive officer, chief scientific officer, chief medical officer or chief technology officer.
- Applicant must demonstrate track record of milestone achievement, such as, but not necessarily limited to, government or foundation grants, patents, successful clinical trial phases, commercial exits, etc.
- No fee to apply.
If you have questions, need more information or are interested in sponsoring this or future BRACE Award Venture Competitions, please contact:
AFCR Senior Director of Global Programs & Communications