The Asian Fund for Cancer Research (AFCR) is pleased to be presenting the 2021 BRACE Award Venture Competition. Semi-finalists will be selected, each of whom will receive widespread exposure and beneficial feedback from a blue-ribbon judging committee. Subject to due diligence and negotiation, the winning company will receive US$300,000 in investment funding from AFCR. Cash awards of US$5,000 and $3,000 will be granted to 2nd and 3rd place competitors, respectively. Click here to download the flyer!
Format & Timeline
- Submit an online application:
- Each applicant must submit an online application consisting of summary details, a short video and a presentation deck summarizing the business plan.
- Application deadline: Tuesday, 15 June 2021, 11:59 PM Hong Kong Time
- Selection of Semi-Finalists:
- Submitted applications will be screened by AFCR personnel. Only submissions that demonstrate cancer mitigation technology, business potential and professionalism will be approved.
- A highly qualified selection committee will review approved applications and determine semi-finalists based on the overall quality of responses.
- Semi-finalists will be announced over two weeks before the pitch competition, by e-mail communication to all approved applicants and online to general public.
- Semi-finalists’ short video clips will be voted on by the public in determining the BRACE Award Venture Competition’s “Best Public Communicator” and generating buzz for the event. Cash award of US$2,000 will be granted to the top voted Semi-Finalist!
- Virtual Competition and Selection of Finalists
- Semi-finalists chosen are invited to pitch to a judging committee in a series of private presentations on a To Be Determined (TBD) 2021 date—morning, Hong Kong Time. After the conclusion of the pitch competition, top competitors will be highlighted.
- PowerPoint or PDF presentation formats are required, and must be delivered—verbally and visually—in English. Presenters are required to be available well in advance of their predesignated time slot, and time limit will be strictly enforced.
- Selection of Winner and Announcement of Investment
- AFCR will perform detailed due diligence on and communicate with the semi-finalists, in order to determine allocation of US$300,000 in AFCR investment into the business deemed to have the strongest potential for return and cancer patient impact.
- Announcement of investment will be made in person to the winner at the BIOHK2021, and online to general public.
- Application must be submitted by a senior executive of an start-up with promising and innovative oncology technologies – therapeutic, diagnostic, preventive, digital health solutions or others – for those cancers prevalent in Asian populations. The individual could be a founder, president, chief executive officer, chief scientific officer, chief medical officer or chief technology officer.
- Applicant must demonstrate track record of milestone achievement, such as, but not necessarily limited to, government or foundation grants, patents, successful clinical trial phases, commercial exits, etc.
- No fee to apply.
If you have questions, need more information or are interested in sponsoring this or future BRACE Award Venture Competitions, please contact:
AFCR Senior Director of Global Programs & Communications