During the holidays, it’s easy to let your healthy eating habits slide. Tasty treats are everywhere – especially cookies. And they’re nearly impossible to resist! To help during this copious cookie time, we’ve hand-picked our favorite recipe that offer a healthier take on your favorite holiday treats. The recipes use wholesome ingredients so you can feel good about snacking.
Give Good-for-You Gingerbread Cookies a try. You won’t be disappointed.
Good-for-you Gingerbread Cookies
(Adapted from Pheebs Foods)
5 cups almond meal
1/2 tsp baking powder
Pinch of Salt
4 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
2 tsp vanilla
2/3 cup melted coconut oil
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
4 Tbsp blackstrap molasses
- Preheat your oven to 300°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place all dry ingredients in a bowl and mix well until the spices are evenly distributed.
- Whisk all wet ingredients in another bowl, adding the oil last to ensure it doesn’t harden.
- Pour wet mix into dry and mix well with a spoon until a dough forms – it will be a lot stickier then normal dough and a bit more fragile
- Turn dough out onto a well-floured board (using a small amount of white flour makes kneading easier).
- Form dough into a well-mixed ball. Cover in plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- Once chilled, roll out dough to approximately 1/2 cm thick and use a cookie cutter to cut out your gingerbread men.
- Place onto baking tray and bake for 15-20 minutes, longer depending on how crunchy or soft you like your cookies.
- Allow to cool fully before decorating.