At AFCR, we respect personal data and we are committed to complying with our privacy obligations under the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance (Cap. 486) (“Ordinance”).
1. We may collect information about you
From time to time, we may gather personal data and other information about you in connection with our activities. For example, we may collect information about you when you donate, enroll in our fundraising events, complete, subscribe to our newsletters, or update your information with us. We may collect information about you in a variety of ways, including through our employees, officers, contractors and agents.
2. The types of information that we may collect
The types of information that we may collect include, but are not limited to, information that:
- identifies you (such as your name, telephone number, fax number, email and postal addresses);
- relates to your financial affairs (for example, credit card information or bank account details); and
- arises or is required in connection with your relationship with us, including your activities (such as donations or attending events) for us.
3. How your Personal Information may be used
AFCR respects your Personal Information. Accordingly, your Personal Information will be kept confidential, except that we may provide such Personal Information to the following parties (each a “Transferee”) for the purposes set out under “Main purposes of keeping your Personal Information”:
- any agent, contractor or third party service provider who provides us with administrative, telecommunications, printing, information technology, payment processing, data processing or storage devices or assists us with marketing, advertising, campaigning, conducting campaign analyses, preparing donation coupons, appeal letters and donor surveys;
- to the extent permitted by law, any third party data processors (who may be within or outside Hong Kong), who agree to comply with the Ordinance and agree to put in place adequate and appropriate data retention and security measures;
- any associated organisation or affiliate of, or any entity controlled by or under common control with AFCR (“AFCR Group”);
- any person to whom an AFCR Group member is under an obligation to make disclosure under the requirements of any law binding on that entity or pursuant to any guidelines issued by regulatory or other authorities with which the AFCR Group member is expected to comply. This could include tax authorities;
- any actual or proposed assignee of AFCR or participant or sub-participant or transferee of AFCR’s rights in respect of you;
- any person who is under a duty of confidentiality to AFCR, such as a professional advisor or another person that has undertaken to keep such information confidential;
- any bank, intermediary, or regulatory authority involved in sending or receiving any payment or instruction to or from or in connection with you;
- any person in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceeding relating to you or your property; and
- other persons specified in AFCR’s statements, notices and terms and conditions that may be made available to you from time to time.
Unless expressly prohibited by applicable law, your Personal Information may be processed, kept and transferred or disclosed in and to any country (in or outside Hong Kong) as AFCR or any Transferee considers appropriate for the purposes set out under “Main purposes of keeping your Personal Information” below. Your Personal Information may also be released or disclosed in accordance with the local practices and laws, rules and regulations (including any governmental acts and orders) in such country. This section is subject to your rights under “Marketing of services and products”.
4. Main purposes of keeping your Personal Information
AFCR and any Transferee may collect, compile and use your Personal Information for the following purposes:
- to keep you informed of the latest cancer research, news and developments and provide updated public education information;
- to keep you informed of AFCR’s events and activities and to invite enrolment in AFCR fundraising events;
- to process your donation and issue receipts;
- to conduct donor surveys;
- to conduct statistical analysis;
- to solicit funds and other forms of support for AFCR’s programmes;
- to comply with applicable laws, regulations and guidelines issued by regulatory authorities, industry bodies or other authorities to which AFCR is subject to or with which it is expected to comply;
- to process requests for information about AFCR or its activities;
- to provide you with a more personalised Web experience;
- for other purposes agreed with you; and
- for any other purposes directly relating to any of the above.
5. AFCR will not sell your Personal Information
Without obtaining your prior written consent, AFCR and the Transferees will not sell, trade or rent your Personal Information for a monetary or in kind gain.
6. Marketing of services and products
Choice in relation to how your Personal Information is used
You can choose not to share your Personal Information with AFCR or within the AFCR Group. It is your choice to tell AFCR if you do not want it or any AFCR Group member to market to you in any way or in a certain way. For example, you may agree to be contacted by mail but not by telephone.
You may, at any time, make such a choice, by contacting us using the details provided in “Contact us” below.
From time to time, AFCR may use your Personal Information to provide you with emails, updates, invitations, newsletters, phone calls or text messages about our fundraising events and initiatives, to invite you to make a donation and/or to invite you to participate in a donor survey, but only if you indicate that you have no objection to our doing so when we collect your Personal Information.
Even if you have given us your consent to use your Personal Information for direct marketing purposes, you may withdraw your consent at any time free of charge by contacting us using the details provided in “Contact us” below, or by following the instructions on how to unsubscribe which are contained in all of our email newsletters. The withdrawal of your consent will be processed and will take effect as soon as possible.
7. AFCR’s website
Information collected online
AFCR’s web server automatically recognises the domain name, server address and browsing history, but not the email addresses, of visitors to AFCR’s website. AFCR collects aggregate information on what pages are visited, as well as information volunteered by visitors to the AFCR website – such as survey information and site registrations. No personally identifiable information is collected in respect of visitors to the AFCR website unless it is given by them in the process of their visit.
The information collected is used to improve the content of AFCR’s website and may also be used for one or more of the purposes set out in “Main purposes of keeping your Personal Information”. This information will not be shared or disclosed with other organisations for commercial purposes. By using our website, you consent to the collection and use of this information by AFCR.
What about “cookies”?
“Cookies” are small pieces of data that are stored by your browser on your computer’s hard drive. You are informed that when you visit the AFCR website, cookies may be installed automatically and retained temporarily in your memory or on your hard disk. Cookies record information about your use of the AFCR website.
Links to other websites
AFCR’s website may contain hypertext links to other websites that are not controlled by AFCR. AFCR disclaims all liability for the privacy practices or content of other websites.
8. Security and retention of Personal Information
AFCR undertakes to use its best efforts to protect the quality and integrity of your Personal Information. AFCR intends to take reasonably practicable steps to ensure that:
- Personal Information held by it is protected against unauthorised or accidental access, processing, erasure or other unauthorised usage;
- Personal Information held by it or any Transferee is only used for such period as reasonably required and is then erased; and
- Transferees comply with the requirements of the Ordinance.
However, AFCR cannot ensure the security and confidentiality of internet communications, which may not be secured by encryption. All information transmitted via the internet is at your own risk.
9. Access to your Personal Information
You may do the following things in respect of your Personal Information that is protected by the Ordinance:
- ascertain whether AFCR holds Personal Information about you;
- access your Personal Information;
- require AFCR to correct your Personal Information which is inaccurate;
- find out about AFCR’s policies and practices in relation to your Personal Information; and
- be informed of the kind of Personal Information held by AFCR.
If you wish to request access to and/or correct your personal data held by us, please do so in writing. Our contact details are set out in “Contact us” below.
In accordance with the Ordinance, AFCR has the right to charge a reasonable fee for the processing of any request to access Personal Information.
Please check the AFCR website periodically for changes.
AFCR welcomes your questions and comments about privacy. Our contact details are set out below:
Address: Room 1205, 12/F, Hong Kong Plaza, 188 Connaught Road West, Hong Kong
Telephone: (852) 2156 9684
Fax: (852) 2156 9685